Early medieval burials and Anglo Saxon grave goods have been found over the course of many years. The first discovery was in 1846 and excavations have taken place up until 1982. In 1966 workmen discovered 7 graves, and 87 were revealed during excavation in 1977. The grave goods at the site have included spearheads, sword fragments of bronze and ivory, a shield boss, a shield grip and the rim of a drinking vessel.